THTR 3880:0001 Cross Reference: DANC 3880:0001
Spring, 2021 || M&W: 3:30p-5:20p
Instructor: Daniel Fine, Assistant Professor of Digital Media in Performance
Course Description: An introduction to the aesthetics, techniques and practical possibilities of fusing together theatre, dance, music/sound, art, design, cinema, gaming, human computer interaction, and engineering. Students will learn the foundations of creating interactive experiences that use digital photos, video, text, real-world objects, sensor data, live bodies moving in space, Kinect 2 sensors, cameras, and multiple video outputs such as projectors and LED displays. The interactive, node-based programming software Isadora, will be used to create immersive mediated performances, interactive installations, embodied user based experiences and user manipulated virtual environments.
Course Objectives and Goals:
- Understand the basic concepts, theories and practical applications of incorporating interactive digital media into installations, live performance and user based experiences.
- Develop applied knowledge of creating interactive media installations and live performance by designing and realizing projects in various analog, digital and new media.
- Cite and discuss historical and contemporary artists and companies.
- Work collaboratively across disciplines to investigate multimedia approaches to contemporary live experiences and new modes of storytelling.
- Develop skills in manipulating digital assets such as photos, videos, text, live video streams and data.
- Operate computer, video, projection, sensor, and camera equipment.
- Be able to perform basic-intermediate, node-based programming skills in Isadora.
- Develop the organizational and artistic skills necessary to successfully produce installations, interactive performance and user based experiences.
- Improve teamwork and communication skills.
- Critique and evaluate work.
- Intro, gear, check-out, studio, system, in-class assignments
- Isadora (Networks, Video)
- Isadora (Sound)
- Isadora (Camera, Displays)
- Isadora (NDI, Syphon, Zoom integration)
- Isadora (Control)
- Isadora (Generative Art)
- Isadora (Projection Mapping)
- Isadora (Data Visualization)
- Isadora (Kinect)