THTR 3890:0001 Cross Reference: DANC 3890:0001 | INTM 3890:001
Fall, 2019 || T&TH: 3:30p-5:20p
Instructor: Daniel Fine, Assistant Professor of Digital Media in Performance
Course Description: An introduction to the basic concepts, theories and practical applications of digital video production for multiple distribution streams, with a focus on aesthetic and technical principles, that is open to students from any department. The primary focus of the course is for students to develop proficiency in contemporary approaches to digital media production, by understanding the production pipeline, from Ideation to Pre-Production, Production, Post-Production and through to Distribution. Emphasis will be placed on developing skills in writing, producing, directing, shot composition, lighting, location sound recording, non-linear editing and other skills necessary to create a compelling and engaging digital video. Working in groups, students will be assigned practical projects using professional grade media software and hardware.
Course Objectives and Goals:
- Understand the basic concepts, theories and practical applications of digital video production for multiple distribution streams.
- Understand the production pipeline of digital video production.
- Develop skills in writing, producing, directing, shot composition, lighting, location sound recording, editing and other skills necessary to create a compelling and engaging digital video.
- Operate digital video production gear, including a DSLR camera package, sound package, lighting gear, and grip packages.
- Be able to perform basic video editing, compositing and fundamental sound editing.
- Develop the organizational skills necessary to successfully produce digital video projects.
- Learn how to make digital videos on a small or non-existent budget using guile, guts and problem-solving techniques.
- Improve teamwork and communication skills.
- Collaborate across disciplines.
- Critique and evaluate work.
- Intro, check-outs, studio, reservations
- Camera, A+B, Vimeo
- Workflow & pipeline
- Copyright, fair use, creative commons
- Who does what
- Audio gear
- Audio editing with Audition
- Lighting gear, grip
- Style, design
- Animation, keyframes
- Inclusion and casting
- Script, budgeting, scheduling
- Pitches, ideation, visualizing
- Shooting & editing greenscreen